Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Honeymoon ended...

I haven't written in forever!!!!! I was trying to think of a funny story to share. Seems like I would be flooded with them since I haven't written in so long. Ok. I have one. The twins seem to always be my big source of funny stories, so here it goes. Lately, the boys have been a little devilish. I know that you can hardly imagine that with the halos that glow over their heads, but I am here to tell you that they have sprouted horns again! My hubby and I have been talking about it and we decided to implement a saying our previous Sunday school teachers would use with their children. The saying is that they must obey the first time, everytime with a happy heart. I was amazed when we started using this saying. It seemed that the words held magic. For the first two days, everytime they had an attitude, were mad or just a little less than perfect, I would remind them gently that we should obey the first time, everytime and they would fill in with a happy heart. Then, they would obey!!! This was so great. I was beginning to think I should have implemented this a long time ago! Every time I would say it, they would immediately behave!!!!! Well, after two days, the honeymoon phase of this ended. To say I was disappointed was an understatement! So, on the third day, I was having a moment with the boys and again reminded them of our little saying except this time Will said in a very gruff voice and a very animated but mean expression, "I gots a bad happy heart!" I usually hold it together pretty well during discipline, but this time I couldn't help but laugh. Unfortunately, it did not help the situation at hand and we ended up with spankings, but it really was funny! I know that is not the best of stories, but I had to give you one on the spot and it was all I could come up with! With that in mind I have to say that this week God has done an amazing thing in my heart. I am a work in progress, but this week I have been learning how not to be in control. I have prayed that God would use me and not only that but that I would allow Him to use me in all the situations of my life. Sounds pretty easy in words, but it is quite difficult. I also added to my prayer that I want Him to remind me that when my children disobey that I would look at it with a different attitude. I had gotten in a rut of only thinking of how my kids were putting me out with discipline. Why can't I just have perfect children anyway? Just kidding! I have asked though that God would allow me to see discipline as an opportunity to mold their character. Just like He is the potter and we are the clay, I want to allow God to use me (vessell) to help to mold my children to have the characteristics that God so cherishes in us. He does work in us in many ways to mold us. Sometimes painful. Sometimes difficult. But in the end, we are striving to be more spiritually mature. Isn't that your goal, too? I tell you what girls. I am feeling the hand of Christ on my life and I couldn't feel more blessed. I could go on and on with what God is teaching me right now, but I tell you my synopsis. Pray to crave God. Discipline yourself to daily read your Bible. Submit yourself, your husband and your children to Him daily. What would you do if someone told you..."You have all of God you want." Stop and really say it over a few times and think about what I am saying. Do you really have all of God you want? Does it convict you? It did me and I am here to say those simple words have been my seed to change my life. Did I mention the peace that God gives when you allow Him control? Wow! I dare you to try it. You will not want to turn back to your old lifestyle.
Isaiah 64:8 "Yet, O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand."
Ephesians
4:22 "You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness."
Jos. 1:8 "
Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful."
Psalms
51:10 "Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me."

No comments: